Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday, August 4 1:56 pm

I was home during the afternoon and became increasingly crabby--shocker. I realized it was more than nicotine fits as my sneaky escapes to the side of the house did nothing to appease me. I left my family to prepare the first Sunday chicken this vegetarian house (self-excluding) has seen, without me. Chris was happy about the chicken, by the way. She told my husband it was good to let Liam choose, which Dave had already decided to do. Consequently, Liam did not eat the chicken...

A long time, dear friend of Bridge and I, Nate Clark had asked if he could come see Christine. I was surprised, but should not have been. As it turns out, he had developed his own friendship with her. He said she always went out of her way to talk to him. I met him there, but Chris was no longer responsive. However, I believe she is aware of the many people who have been touched by her and I was comforted that he'd come and held her hand.

Earlier in the evening, the nurse told us Chris wouldn't make it through the night. Kathy and I put out the many calls, again. Collen, Nina, Robert & Bridget filed in. I assume Pete was driving like a bat out of hell to get there, but arrived safely later in the evening. His boys were already with us (Nino, peacefully snoring in quarantine.) Danny was already there and Chuck comes in tomorrow. Being continuously full of surprises, Christine held through the night. The doctors and nurses say her heart and lungs are just so strong--they are amazed she has held on this long. Elizabeth said, 'Is anyone surprised that Mom's heart is so strong?' To which Laura O'Sullivan replied, 'Her lungs, too, if you think about it...' Touche, from an O'Sullivan!

It seems there is always an O'Sullivan on the way in or out. They have been an amazing family to Christine, another family to her. We are all grateful for their support of our sister through the years, especially now.

Auntie M (Aunt Margaret) is another, constantly present (whether we see her or not) and suffering the tortures of the damned facing the loss of the incredible bond they have shared.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Well, you know, Kelly women are made tough. Warm and funny, but underneath, they are steel. Glad I got some of that blood in my veins. Thanks for the update, Bridget.