Monday, August 18, 2008

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

For your many prayers, thoughts, and kind deeds. There are so many people that contributed to the successful implementation of my mother's final wishes. For that, all of us are grateful.

For the folks that are nearby, there seemed to be no end of tasks being completed. You brought food and drinks, hugs and warm thoughts. You spared your time to help with mundane tasks like yard work and shopping. Many of you joined us in celebration of Christine's life.

For those of you that could not physically be with us in St. Louis, you helped us by your caring phone calls, memories of times gone by, flowers, cards, and donations. Feel free to re-visit our blog if a story or memory returns. We love to hear the stories and words of wisdom that Christine so generously sprinkled around.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chris Kelly Smith
You know, they say there are lots of Chris Kelly's in the world. And even more Chris Smith's. But we, here today, know there is only really one Chris Kelly Smith. And that is our Chris Kelly Smith! She's the one with the ready smile, the up-beat attitude, and always the voice of calm and reason. Our Chris is the one who loved people and liked to talk, and talk, and talk sometimes without coming up for air.

It was a glorious day when she was referred to us as a babysitter. She fit with our family like a hand in a glove.

One day she hopped in the car and announced that it was her birthday. I congratulated her on being sweet sixteen, to which she replied, "Oh no, I'm 15." I was horrified because we had a firm rule that our sitters had to be at least 15 to handle our rambunctious 8 darlings. When I told my husband, we both just shrugged as she had already proved she was up to the job.

When I had surgery on my back in '73, Chris stopped by the house to visit Dan. He inquired about her summer plans. Chris said that she hadn't landed a job yet. Dan said, "Oh, yes you have. I need you to move in here with us for the summer and take care of the gang while June recovers." Chris did and acted as if she took charge of 8 children every day of her life. Dan wouldn't let me lift a finger so Chris did it all.

When Chris and Mike's first baby was born by caesarian, she needed help. So I went to Davenport for two weeks. I wonder now if my husband worried that I would never be back. Taking care of an adult and one baby was like being on vacation for me. We had such a good time and it was topped off by the baby being named after me. Wow!

What a blessing Chris has been to all of us and she'll leave a hole in our lives that we can fill with our sweet memories of her.

Written by June O'Sullivan
August 4, 2008